Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wash, rinse, repeat

TRANSFERS: A day where missionaries experience emotions ranging from apprehension to unbelief to confusion to excitement.

You would think it's always a full moon when transfers come along by the way all the missionaries start acting... Transfers always make things a little exciting and interesting!

Sister Pearson, Morales, and I all thought that this trio thing was just temporary and that we would be back in two's by this transfer. Welp, we were wrong! Sister Pearson got transferred to Washington (She'll still be in the VC) and Sister Morales and I inherited another sister! Sister Shoemaker. We'll get to meet her tomorrow. And she's Spanish speaking so Sister Morales was pretty happy :) This will be my THIRD trio in my THIRD transfer! (I was in one for about a week in my last area). Apparently I have been in all the first trios in our mission for the sisters so far! I guess President Center is starting to like this trio thing... And I am too! We have soo much fun :) And get a lot of work done too!

The other day in the VC we had the opportunity to take a grandmother and her daughter on a tour. They were from Las Vegas and were Southern Baptists. They were SUPER friendly! And came all the way to St. George JUST to come to he Visitors' Center. I guess they ran into some missionaries in LV who told them to come here! But anyway, we started at the Christus and played the message of the Christus for them. They loved it - and we got to talk a lot about Christ's role in our lives and theirs. We were asking them a few questions to hear their testimony of Him and of what His sacrifice means to them. It was so funny because the grandmother started asking us many questions as well like, "Now you believe Jesus is your Savior, now is that right? Mhmm, okay." Followed up by another 20 questions that were followed up by the same "Now is that right? Mhmm, okay" in their southern accent. Then they asked Sister Morales and I a question that really made us think... She said, "Now if you got up to the gates of Heaven and Heavenly Father was standin' there and asked you why He should let you into His kingdom, what would you say?" We sat there looking up at the Christus pondering on her inspired question. When we gave our answers, tears filled our eyes and I think we both realized we had a lot of work to do! I think that's a question we can all ask ourselves to prepare us for judgement day - to prepare us for that day where we can stand before our God with a clear conscious and confidently state the reasons why we should be let into HIS kingdom. 

Something I've been reflecting on lately is the Young Women's Theme - especially the part where we state, "We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places." I think it's ALWAYS important to uphold these standards, but especially when (as a missionary) we're only with other missionaries or just with our companions. It shows how dedicated and serious we are about missionary work - that being set-apart to be Christ's representative is not just some cloak that we put on when investigators or leaders are around and then take off when we are just with other missionaries. The other day I had to remind some sisters of whose name they were not only wearing but whose name they were representing. It wasn't exactly easy to do, but other sisters had come up to me afterwards and thanked me for saying something. Earlier that day we had another interesting experience. One of our WML's had given us a referral so we went out to go contact them. It was in a really rough part of St. George (And no, it wasn't rough compared to STL haha), but we have a few other investigators that live there so we thought it would be fine. When we got to the door they had this really dark netted screen on it, so we could barely see their faces. Long story short, there were not good angels in that home and they shouted some pretty cruel things at us. Don't get me wrong, we have cruel things shouted to us ALL the time, but this was a bit different. We made sure to walk/run away as fast as we could, and the whole time we were walking I had the beginning of the YW theme playing in my mind. "We are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love Him." I was a little hurt and afraid, but that simple phrase gave me such comfort, peace, and hope. I have never been more grateful for the Young Women's program then I was that day when I was able to replay those words in my mind of the theme that have given me strength so many times before.Later that evening was the Woman's Conference where they once again stated the theme. Can you tell I just love Young Women's? :)


Speaking of conference, how did you all like conference?? I LOVED it! So fun watching it as a missionary; it gives everything a new perspective. Elder Hales once said, “The greatest blessings of general conference come to us after the conference is over. Remember the pattern recorded frequently in scripture: we gather to hear the words of the Lord, and we return to our homes to live them.” Isn't that the truth!! After instructing the people in the land of Bountiful, the Lord invited them by saying, “Go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.” (3 Nephi 17:3)

It was no coincidence that multiple references were made during conference to the events of the Restoration of the Gospel and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. General Conference is a tangible blessing and a fruit of the Restoration, as we are blessed to be active witnesses of modern-day revelation through living prophets and apostles.  I am working on setting goals that I can do to improve myself spiritually this week, and follow-up with myself at sacrament meeting next week! And then, “wash, rinse, repeat” for every following week.


I would LOVE for you all to send me your favorite General Conference talk and explain why! I would love to hear about your missionary experiences you are having and things that you're learning out of Preach My Gospel (every member a missionary ;)

I love every one of you!! Thank you for your unfailing support and love!! :) It strengthens me each and every day!

Much Love, Sister Martin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message for Madeline!